VITA - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due
Few government initiatives are as powerful and effective in helping limited-income households as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Therefore, no effort to serve the underserved would be complete without making them aware of, and helping them capitalize on, EITC.
To do that, New York’s credit unions draw on their unsurpassed ability to marshal volunteers, asking them to help those of limited income complete their taxes and claim their credit through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. In doing so, the credit unions have generated tens of millions of dollars in refunds—enriching not only the tax filers themselves, but their communities.
Benefits of participating in the VITA program:
- Keep tax refunds local in our communities
- Ensure New Yorkers receive the entire refund they are entitled to receive
- Provide financial education
- Gain political goodwill
- Illustrate powerfully how we are “people helping people”
- Secure exposure within local media
- Help solve a pressing problem in our state