The Point: Aug. 12, 2013
Association ramping up for Don't Tax My Credit Union Week
As previously reported, the Credit Union Association of New York has declared next week Don't Tax My Credit Union Week in New York State. Throughout the week, New York credit unions are encouraged to engage their staff and members in contacting Congress with the critical "Don't Tax My Credit Union" message.
In addition to providing several campaign resources for credit unions, the Association is coordinating the following initiatives:
- A New York Credit Union Rally will be held at Association headquarters Thursday, Aug. 22, beginning at 10:30 a.m. Association President/CEO William Mellin will speak, along with other credit union leaders from the Capital District. Credit union professionals, volunteer leaders and members are invited to attend the event, and Don't Tax My Credit Union information and buttons will be provided.
- A statewide postcard campaign is currently underway, with nearly 100 credit unions planning to collect staff/member signatures on Don't Tax My Credit Union postcards next week. The postcards will be hand-delivered by the Association to the offices of Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand.
- Throughout the week, the Association will also share additional campaign tools to help New York credit unions build staff/member awareness.
"Next week is a great opportunity to build momentum for the Don't Tax My Credit Union campaign here in New York," said Association President/CEO William Mellin. "Whether you participate in one of our initiatives or promote the campaign in other ways, I encourage every credit union to unite in this important cause. Let's make sure that Congress knows how important the tax exemption is to New York credit unions and their nearly 5 million members."
Multi-chapter golf event raises $9,000+ for CUPAC
More than 50 golfers weathered the rain to support New York's Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC) during a recent golf event hosted by the Catskill-Hudson, Metropolitan and Westchester-Rockland chapters. Thanks to golfer participation and sponsorships, the event raised more than $9,000 for CUPAC.
The day's winners included:
- the winning team (sponsored by CUNA Mutual Group), including James Langer, Ron Flaherty and Steve Sureda;
- Closest to the Pin winners Julie Lynch (CUC Mortgage Corporation) and Ron Flaherty (TEG FCU); and
- Longest Drive winner Kimberly Ploof (Covera).
Notably, golfer Ron Flaherty also hit his first hole-in-one, with a distance of 160 yards.
The event was held Aug. 1 at the Falkirk Estate & Country Club in Central Valley, N.Y.
"We would like to thank the chapter presidents, including Rob Nemeroff, Rick Mantey and Mark Welshoff, for their leadership and efforts in reaching out to build support for this successful event," said Credit Union Association of New York Director of Political/Foundation Development Dirck Van Deusen.
To view upcoming CUPAC golf events, visit the Association's Events & Education calendar.
New CompBlog Wrap-Up focuses on mortgage regulations
Insights on the CFPB's mortgage changes-and how to ensure compliance-are featured in the latest edition of CUNA's CompBlog Wrap-Up (CUNA member login required).
In addition to addressing common credit union questions, the Wrap-Up links to a five-part CompBlog series on error resolution and information notice requirements under the new mortgage servicing rules. It also includes details on the CFPB's finalized ability-to-repay and mortgage servicing rules, an update on legislative activities and other compliance resources.
CUNA Regulatory Advocacy Report (CUNA member log-in/registration required.)
CUNA Legislative Update (CUNA member log-in/registration required.)