Webinar: Directors & Financial Literacy Session 2: Monitoring & Measuring the 9 Risks Your Credit Union Faces
In part two of this series, we will take your knowledge of financial statements and ratios and teach you how to use it to identify and monitor risk. Is risk something you need to eliminate in a credit union? Risk in financial institutions is a funny thing: Take too little, and you slowly starve. Take too much, and you drown rapidly. This webinar will address the nine most critical risks that directors need to understand and will explain how to monitor these risks.
About This Session:
This webinar will cover the following topics:
- What can happen if underwriting is too liberal or lending quality controls are weak
- Why taking appropriate risk with borrowers is necessary to obtain an adequate yield from your portfolio in today's low-rate marketplace
- Why chasing rate in investments can come back to haunt you
- Issues involved in locking the credit union into long-term, low-rate mortgage loans...and the alternatives
- Review of critical internal controls to keep employees and criminals from illegally taking members' money or data
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT with a financial dashboard to help monitor risks and key ratios in an understandable, graphic form; an employee training log; and a staff quiz/answer key
Don't miss Part 1! This webinar is the second of two in a series. To register for the live version of "Directors & Financial Literacy, Session 1: Understand Your Credit Union's Financial Condition with Key Ratios, Balances & Estimates," or to access the archived version, visit https://www.cuany.org/webinar/082713.
Who Should Participate:
Directors, supervisory committee members, other volunteers/volunteers in training, CEOs and managers
About the Presenter:
Tim Harrington, CPA, TEAM Resources
Tim Harrington is a Certified Public Accountant and president of TEAM Resources, a firm that provides consulting, strategic planning and training across the country. Since 1992, he has also taught lending personnel how to obtain monthly income from tax returns. As a faculty member of two CUNA schools on finance and tax, Harrington has consulted with, and provided training for, hundreds of financial institutions. In addition, he is the author of popular lending software Lenders Tax Analyzer.
- On Demand Link and CD Rom - Available Until March 31, 2014